2/2/11

Butterfly house.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I went to the Butterfly House last Saturday, for the second time so this is a compilation of both visits. Talk about needing a fast shutter. Somebody needs to teach those suckers how to land! There are plenty of flowers for food in the arboritum, but 95% of the butterflies this time around just wanted to zoom around like they were on crack. I didn't really have fun because of this, not like last time, when they were way more calm.

Also, I don't like that choosing a specific mode on my camera disables certain features. I obviously didn't have time to sit around manipulating the shutter speed, so I moved the dial to Sports mode. Which meant I couldn't change the white balance, or the exposure compensation. That's whack.

Oh! And a paper kite (the first type of butterfly pictured) LANDED ON ME. On my camera strap, to be exact. I made sure not to put on any perfume or lotion that day because they're attracted to strong, sweet scents. But this thing AMBUSHED ME. I freaked out, obviously. You're forbidden to touch the butterflies or swat at them, so I was positive it was just gonna sit there and stare at me with its bulbous, expressionless eyes until I was forced to break the rules. Thank God it was on my strap, because I pulled at it in my crazed state and the paper kite promptly flitted away. Two ladies saw me, but they pretended not to.

So yeah, now you know. I don't like bugs. At all. Wild butterflies hate people; the crazy ones in places like this will eat you.

3 comments:

  1. ba-ha!!! You just reminded me of happy times when I tried to get Tati and Raven to hold a ladybug... didn't go over well, lol. I wear strong perfume on purpose when I go because I want them to land on me.

    Sounds like we've got a lot of catching up to do. I will pencil you in for Spring, lol, because I doubt the roads will be any good until then anyway. Apparently the groundhog didn't see his shadow... probably because he was iced in and couldn't leave his hole, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, Tati and Raven.... :'-( I think this is Tati's first year of middle school; I bet she's already irreversibly out of control.

    Thanks Mel. =)

    ReplyDelete