9/12/10

Scattered thoughts.

Last night I took the plunge - I entered my very first photo contest, Kodak Picture of the Day. In the Winning Digital Photo Contests book I told you about last month, many of the pictures featured in it had won this particular contest. After perusing the archives and getting a good idea for what kinds of pictures made it to the top of the stack, I submitted my favorite Cathedral Basilica photo; it's the very first one in the post here.

I submitted it because of the unique nature of the subject (you just don't see cathedrals every day, at least in America), the amount of detail and color, and the creepily almost-perfect balance I achieved without trying. I especially love how the feet of Jesus on the Crucifix are, asymptotically, juuuuust about to touch the bottom of the picture but don't.

So, if I hear anything back, I'll let you know!

Another photo contest that featured prominantly in Wignall's book was Steve's Digicams. You should check out the whole website - it has a TON of information and a TON of incredibly useful articles. I wish I had known about it before I made my post about photo websites. Also, I urge you to read the article by Suzanne Williams, Becoming a Great Photographer. Best article I've read on the subject, and all of her articles are well thought-out and well-written.

I've been thinking lately that while I love how cute and small my photos are on my blogs, I kind of wish I had a different layout so they could be huge. As far as web design goes, I have neither the time nor patience to figure out a new blog layout, so in the meantime, I am going to start sizing my pictures up a bit to make them more impactful, and at the same time they'll still fit within the post frame. Liiiiike this one:

Photobucket

Good times. Lastly, don't let me forget to go to that Balloon Glow this Friday.

2 comments:

  1. Just to let you know, I love reading this blog. Curious. . . what dimensions did you use for this larger size picture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! :)

    When resizing in Photobucket, I changed the first box (which I presume to be width?) to 450, and it automatically changed the other box (make sure the "keep proportions" option is checked). I'm happy with it!

    ReplyDelete