7/30/10

Black and white.

In 2005 I acquired a Konica Minolta 35mm camera (can't give exact specs; more on that later). I never put a lot of mileage on it, as the next year I got my first digital camera (a Canon Powershot A530 - ha!)

I took the Minolta with me on my last trip to North Carolina, and while I didn't even manage to use up a whole roll, I wanted to compare the strength of its photos with more recent digital ones. I also used black-and-white film.

I've read that many professional photographers - in this case, the superstar sense of the word - remain users of 35mm film and find themselves able to get higher quality with it, even with how far digital has come. That intrigues me; and also makes me happy because I don't think we should ever abandon something that worked very well for so long, just because something new becomes available.

Anyway, I read that in particular B&W 35mm film is superior to its digital counterpart. So I just wanted to see for myself.

Aaaaand wowza - I am in love with these pictures!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Though the rhododendren pictures are similar, I simply could not decide between them so I've shown both. And no, the last photo isn't perfectly composed or anything, but it just seems to brim with light and lushness.

I love that the photos are already beautifully saturated, and again, B&W photography lends an automatic sense of "story" to a picture. I wish I could go out and try to recapture even more, especially since I have three unused rolls....

...but times are tough, and I had to sell my Minolta a few weekends ago. (That's why I don't know the exact model; never committed it to memory)

I do know, though, that if I ever am finally in a stable situation money-wise, I'd like to purchase another 35mm camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment